[Public WebGL] Shaders, glReadPixels and speed

stephen white [email protected]
Mon Jan 4 00:54:59 PST 2010

On 04/01/2010, at 3:50 PM, Vladimir Vukicevic wrote:
> Are the calls that Gregg outlined above actually showing up as a
> bottleneck?  If they are, that's a performance bug that I'm pretty
> sure we'll all be very motivated to fix; geometry shaders don't
> really replace much of that work, and emulating them in software and/
> or trying to do a bolt-on to GL ES seems like a bad way to fix these
> problems.  As Ken mentioned, the best thing to do is to send along
> some benchmarks showing bottlenecks that we can jump on.

I'll upgrade my OS as the glReadPixels bottleneck is dominating my
results at the moment. I'll keep this area in mind as I experiment
more, and it seems readily testable by creating thousands of
independently animated objects.

If WebGL is expected to do the same level of graphics as the Beach
demo, then I agree that there isn't a problem. :)

--
   [email protected]