[Public WebGL] Some WebGL draft feedback

Mark Callow [email protected]
Mon Jan 4 21:21:11 PST 2010

Gregg Tavares wrote:

> ... [snip] ...
> I don't follow the logic here? Which OS doesn't allow someone to use
> any API they want to draw to a window? Which system doesn't allow you
> to use any code you want to draw to a rectangle of pixels? Maybe I'm
> reading something into it but it seems like allowing multiple contexts
> as the normal thing to do and not allowing multiple contexts is only
> being advocated because it's hard for WebGL which doesn't seem like it
> should be the deciding factor. Rather then limit the usefulness of
> canvas by making it not allowed to have multiple contexts because of
> WebGL, if WebGL can't share then it doesn't belong in canvas.
Sure you can use any API you want to draw to a window. If you start
using multiple APIs for simultaneous drawing to the same window, which
is what you are requesting here, it is entirely conceivable that the OS
may not support it. When supported, at a minimum the application has to
take responsibility for finding a suitable pixel format and
synchronizing the drawing of those different APIs.

Regards

    -Mark