[Public WebGL] Some WebGL draft feedback

Vladimir Vukicevic [email protected]
Mon Jan 4 23:40:23 PST 2010

You can't do 3-level mime types, but you can do script/glsl-es, script/glsl-es+vertex, etc. But -- I don't think that we need to do any of this, as I don't think there's any need for a standardized glsl mime type, at least for WebGL purposes. My original c3d demos used the x-shader/x-vertex stuff as just an example of how shader content could be stuck in html content, and other demos have done something similar; it's convenient, but you could just as easily put it all in a custom XML file, inline string, in a display:none <div> or anywhere else, as it was all loaded in the pure js side without involving WebGL at all. It may not have been the best idea in the first place, even :-)

- Vlad

On Dec 23, 2009, at 12:34 PM, Carl van Heezik wrote:

> Chris,
>
> I have some questions about the <script> tag for including vertex / fragment shaders in the webpage. I see in the apple demo’s that they use “x-shader/x-vertex” and “x-shader/x-fragment” as script type. Is this the proposed standard type? I would prefer something like “text/glsl” or “text/shader” because its looks more like the existing “text/javascript” type.
We are not proposing any mime-types for this. using a mime-type preceeded by 'x-' indicates an experimental type. I am just using it to identify the type of the content of the script.