[Public WebGL] Some WebGL draft feedback

Chris Marrin [email protected]
Tue Jan 5 09:59:02 PST 2010

On Jan 4, 2010, at 9:32 PM, Mark Callow wrote:

> Hi Chris, All,
>
> Perhaps we should propose and register some mime-types. Can you do a 3 level mime-type as in text/shader/{vertex,fragment} or text/glsles/{vertex,fragment}? Is it useful at the Javascript level to be able to identify vertex vs. fragment shaders by mime-type or would text/glsles be sufficient?

I don't think mime-types support anything beyond 2 levels. So text/glsles-fragment and text/glsles-vertex would be the best we could do.

I can make a formal request to http://www.iana.org/cgi-bin/mediatypes.pl. But what do we think it should be? Seems like 'text' should be the major type (it is human readable). The minor type could be:

1) glsl-fragment and glsl-vertex
2) glsles-fragment and glsles-vertex
3) glsl-es-fragment and glsl-es-vertex
4) Something else

One thing to think about. Mime-types have associated file extensions. Currently the extensions .frag and .vert are used in many places, and at least on Mac, these suffixes has associated apps. But these don't make any distinction between GLSL and GLSL-ES shaders. That makes me think it would be better to leave "es" out of the mime-type and use validation to ensure the ES constraints.

-----
~Chris
[email protected]