[Public WebGL] Some WebGL draft feedback

Gregg Tavares [email protected]
Tue Jan 5 16:15:19 PST 2010

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 3:21 PM, Chris Marrin <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > getContext("2d")
> > > getContext("webgl")
> > > getContext("logo")
> > >
> > > adds no value if they can't be simultaneous. I don't understand why you
> fail to see what I'm getting at nor have you acknowledged or responded to
> the advantages of making webgl its own tag.
>
> I have responded to all your points. Do you see that it would be much
> harder, from both a spec and implementation point of view to make a separate
> context? There are advantages to using <context> for both. It allows a 3D
> context to be used as the image in a 2D context and vice versa. Making
> separate canvas-like objects would require that the current 2D canvas API be
> extended to support it to get that functionality.
>
> So let me be very clear. I acknowledge that you believe making webgl its
> own tag would have advantages, but I disagree with all your arguments.
> Furthermore, I think it would not only be unnecessary to make a separate
> webgl tag, but would actually result in a less flexible and poorer design. I
> don't mean to be combative with the above statement. I just want to be as
> clear as I can.
>

> > Of course it adds value. You can prove this to yourself by creating 2
> <canvas> elements, placing them on top of each other (using the CSS
> position:absolute property to position them and the CSS z-index property to
> put one on top of the other in rendering order). In the bottom one, make it
> a "webgl" context and render a nice spinning cube. In the top one, make it a
> "2d" context and render a happy face that gets bigger as the frame rate gets
> faster. Here you have a basic overlay capability where both APIs are
> rendering into the same visual space. You get the effect of both APIs
> rendering to the same context without the headache of supporting
> simultaneous rendering.
> >
> > You seem to be missing my point.
> >
> > <cavnas2d> over <canvas3d> has no less meaning than <canvas>
> getContext("2d") + <canvas> getContext("3d").  Doing it the second way adds
> nothing over the first way. Given that those 2 ways (2 different tags) vs (1
> tag with 2 different contexts) are equivalent then the question becomes,
> what does the second design add that the first design is missing? My point
> is that unless the second design supports simultaneous contexts then it has
> no advantages over of the separate tags so why even have that design in the
> first place if it's not better than separate tags.
>
> I agree that if the design were that Canvas2D and Canvas3D were separate
> elements you could place one over the other and get the effect I describe.
> But we don't have Canvas2D and Canvas3D elements, we have a single Canvas
> element which has a good design and I don't believe there is any reason to
> change it. I understand that you disagree with that. but I have not seen any
> compelling arguments to change the design. What would the advantage of
> separate Canvas2D and Canvas3D elements be?

The argument against multiple simultaneous contexts seems solely to be that
it is hard for webgl to support it. Outside of WebGL, it would certainly not
be hard to have multiple contexts if each just effected a rectangular array
of shared CPU side pixels. Each context would just provide new API methods
to add to ways you can effect those pixels. Example:

ctx2d = canvas.getContext("2d");
// Puts some flowers in the background
ctx2d.drawImage(someFlowerImage, 0, 0);

// Blur out the flowers
ctxFilter = canvas.getContext("photoshop-like-filters");
ctxFilter.radialBlur(50.5);

// Draw some text on a curve
ctxWordArt = canvas.getContext("word-art");
ctxWordArt.setColor(0, 0, 0);
ctxWordArt.defineCurvePath([100, 100, 150, 50, 200, 300, 400]);
ctxWordArt.drawTextAlongCurve("Hello world");

// Blur out the text we just drew
ctxFilter.zoomBlur(0.5);

// Draw the text again clearly on top of the blurred text.
ctxWordArt.setColor(255, 0, 0);
ctxWordArt.drawTextAlongCurve("Hello world");

That seems like a extremely useful API design. All getContext does is expose
more methods for effecting the pixels the canvas represents and that being
able to use multiple contexts is a big win.

Now WebGL comes along and it's hard for it to deal with multiple contexts. I
get that. I don't see that as sufficient for basically deciding that only
because WebGL can't easily share contexts that therefore the very useful
feature of multiple simultaneous contexts should be disallowed from the
canvas tag in general.

Rather, it seems like WebGL should either (a) deal with possible multiple
simultaneous contexts on the canvas tag or (b) be its own tag.