[Public WebGL] Some WebGL draft feedback

Kenneth Russell [email protected]
Fri Jan 8 13:58:07 PST 2010

I have also worked on interoperability issues with Java 2D, specifically
with the Java bindings to OpenGL. A few years ago an OpenGL backend for Java
2D was developed, and we were able to cleanly integrate the two APIs by
creating two OpenGL contexts against the same drawable. A browser vendor
desiring hardware acceleration for all of their Canvas contexts could use
the same technique.

For certain operations, like overlaying text on 3D output, it's much simpler
to use a 2D API than to convert everything to OpenGL.

Another interoperability mechanism, which already exists in both the 2D and
WebGL contexts, is to allow a Canvas to be used as input to the API. We
should consider whether all Canvas context APIs should be required to take a
Canvas as input. We should also consider whether it's a good idea, even if
this capability is present, to mandate that Canvas may not support multiple
simultaneous rendering contexts.

-Ken