[Public WebGL] gl.sizeInBytes

Vladimir Vukicevic [email protected]
Sun Jan 10 12:44:12 PST 2010

On 1/10/2010 12:30 PM, Patrick Baggett wrote:
> In section 5.13.3, the first table defines the different types of
> WebGL[Type]Arrays, and in that process, it defines the size, down to
> the bit, of the elements inside each array. Since these types are
> already completely specified, what is the purpose of
> WebGLContext::sizeInBytes()?
>
> Or to put it another way, how would app handle sizeInBytes(FLOAT) == 8
> if 5.13.3 defines WebGLFloatArray to be 32-bit floating point values?
> Wouldn't it make more sense for WebGL[Type]Arrays to have elements of
> size sizeInBytes([Type])? Or keep 5.13.3 and drop sizeInBytes() entirely?

sizeInBytes is intended to be a convenience function, so that you can
write 100 * gl.sizeInBytes(gl.FLOAT) instead of having a magic "4"
there.  It will always return the same size values that are listed in
5.13.3.  But I do think that we can do without it; if anything, we could
just define constants on the gl object, e.g. gl.FLOAT_SIZE, or perhaps
WebGLFloatArray.ELEMENT_SIZE or something (though the latter is pretty
wordy).

     - Vlad