[Public WebGL] Some WebGL draft feedback

Mark Callow [email protected]
Mon Jan 11 22:08:06 PST 2010

Kenneth Russell wrote:
> I have also worked on interoperability issues with Java 2D,
> specifically with the Java bindings to OpenGL. A few years ago an
> OpenGL backend for Java 2D was developed, and we were able to cleanly
> integrate the two APIs by creating two OpenGL contexts against the
> same drawable. A browser vendor desiring hardware acceleration for all
> of their Canvas contexts could use the same technique.
I consistently recommend implementing the Java2D via OpenGL to the JVM
vendors we work with. Unfortunately it is not a small task, and
sometimes out of their control as they are using a 2D API provided by
the platform. Always there is incredible time pressure from the ultimate
customer. So this is rarely done in practice. I am hopeful that things
may improve with MIDP-3 implementations.

Regards

    -Mark