[Public WebGL] Some WebGL draft feedback

Mark Callow [email protected]
Mon Jan 11 22:12:15 PST 2010

Kenneth Russell wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 2:54 PM, Chris Marrin <[email protected]
> <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>

>     The ability to support 2 separate OpenGL contexts on the same
>     drawable is certainly not a universal feature. We shouldn't its
>     existence on a particular platform as evidence that it would be
>     easy to support on any platform. It's important for the design to
>     be adaptable to many architectures without unduly hampering some.
>

> It's a feature in every OpenGL window system binding I'm aware of
> except those on Mac OS X, which doesn't provide an abstraction for the
> OpenGL drawable.
It is not a "feature" of every OpenGL ES 1.1 window system binding. I
put feature in quotes because the feature is supported by the EGL API
but implementations are not required to support EGL surfaces that can be
rendered to by multiple contexts. I have not yet worked with enough ES
2.0 implementations to be able to make the same statement for that but I
would not be in the least surprised to find similarly limited
implementations.

Regards

    -Mark