[Public WebGL] Some WebGL draft feedback

Kenneth Russell [email protected]
Tue Jan 12 14:57:59 PST 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 10:12 PM, Mark Callow <[email protected]>wrote:

>  Kenneth Russell wrote:
>
> On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 2:54 PM, Chris Marrin <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>  The ability to support 2 separate OpenGL contexts on the same drawable is
>> certainly not a universal feature. We shouldn't its existence on a
>> particular platform as evidence that it would be easy to support on any
>> platform. It's important for the design to be adaptable to many
>> architectures without unduly hampering some.
>

>  It's a feature in every OpenGL window system binding I'm aware of except
> those on Mac OS X, which doesn't provide an abstraction for the OpenGL
> drawable.
>
> It is not a "feature" of every OpenGL ES 1.1 window system binding. I put
> feature in quotes because the feature is supported by the EGL API but
> implementations are not required to support EGL surfaces that can be
> rendered to by multiple contexts. I have not yet worked with enough ES 2.0
> implementations to be able to make the same statement for that but I would
> not be in the least surprised to find similarly limited implementations.

I see the text you're referring to: section 3.7, footnote 9 of the EGL 1.4
specification. That's awful.

My basic point stands, though, which is that the API supports it. Mac OS X
has no notion of an OpenGL drawable in the public API and it is the only
OpenGL window system binding with this characteristic.