[Public WebGL] Some WebGL draft feedback

Mark Callow [email protected]
Tue Jan 12 18:29:09 PST 2010

Hi Ken,

Without explicit wait calls, every rendering call of every API needs to
a test to check if some other context is currently rendering and if so,
wait for it. This test will affect performance. It might only be a
single if, but it will be in every rendering call. It also means that
each rendering API needs to know about all the other APIs that can be
used, which in turn means you have to update every API when a new one is
added.

And then there is Chris's point, that hiding the synchronization, makes
people not realize the impact of their simple change to, e.g., draw a
score on their WebGL game using a 2D API.

Having explicit sync. makes it clear to everyone what is going on and
keeps the APIs independent of each other.

Regards

    -Mark