[Public WebGL] Some WebGL draft feedback

Tim Johansson [email protected]
Wed Jan 13 13:01:04 PST 2010

On 2010-01-13 20:43, Kenneth Russell wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 8:00 PM, Mark Callow <[email protected]
> <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>

>     Kenneth Russell wrote:
>

>         If an explicit wait is added to the API, what happens if the
>         developer fails to call it before rendering with a different
>         context? Do they get an exception or incorrect rendering results?
>
>     Incorrect rendering. The exception checks would have the same
>     performance and tentacle-spreading issues I raised before.
>

> I don't think incorrect rendering results are an acceptable
> alternative. I also dispute whether the check to see if the given
> rendering context is "current" upon each graphics call would have any
> perceptible performance impact. We currently have and need such checks
> in the WebGL implementations for Safari and Chrome and they are
> negligible in cost.

I agree that incorrect rendering is not good as it is not well
specified. If an implementation manages to get it looking right without
calling the sync function that behavior will quickly become required
since many authors will forget to call the sync functions.

That means the check is required and I don't see any real benefit of
requiring a sync function to be called instead of just syncing
implicitly. IMO we should not add functions to make authors think about
everything that might be slow in some implementations.

//Tim