[Public WebGL] NPOT (non-power-of-two) textures

Chris Marrin [email protected]
Thu Jan 14 12:08:37 PST 2010

On Jan 14, 2010, at 11:52 AM, Kenneth Russell wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 10:48 AM, Chris Marrin <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>>
>> OpenGL supports NPOT textures in two ways. The first is called
>> "Rectangle Textures" (RT), which can be any size, but can't be
>> repeating, mip-mapped or have borders. And rather than using 0-1
>> texture coordinates, they use 0-w, 0-h. OpenGL Also supports true
>> NPOT textures, which have similar constraints to RT, but which use
>> the normal 0-1 texture coordinates.
>>
>> The issue is that some older hardware (and when I say "older" I
>> mean hardware from 2005) only supports RT, not true NPOT. It's not
>> possible to emulate NPOT when you just have RT support because in
>> GLSL you use a different sampler for RT (sampler2DRect vs sampler2D).
>>
>> OpenGL ES only supports NPOT, not RT. So does that mean we leave
>> these older cards in the cold? The only options I see are:
>>
>> 1) Add optional support (as some sort of queryable extension) for
>> RT (ick!)
>> 2) Remove support for any type of NPOT from WebGL (double ick!)
>> 3) Leave these older cards in the dust.
>>
>> Now, I can say that using NPOT on a Mac with one of these older
>> cards still works, it just uses software rendering and is therefore
>> much slower.
>
> A WebGL implementation can scale up NPOT texture data to the next
> highest power of two dimension during texImage2D and texSubImage2D
> calls. This wouldn't involve any API changes. O3D does this in some
> cases as proof that the technique can work without the end user
> knowing. I think it would be a bad idea to expose rectangular textures
> in the WebGL API; they are definitely not the path forward.

I'm not sure that works in the presence of shaders. What about the use
of textures as shader data? If a shader is using a 100x100 texture as
numeric data, scaling that data to 128x128 would break that shader,
right? There are also issues with stride and texSubImage2D. Seems like
it would at least be very difficult to make it transparent to the user.

But I agree with you. The other two options are very bad. For now, I
will say that this older hardware works with WebGL, it just runs slowly.