[Public WebGL] In defense of older hardware

Patrick Baggett [email protected]
Fri Jan 15 11:21:15 PST 2010

I disagree, and I'm a big fan of older 3D hardware (think SGI).

The problem is a scoping issue. WebGL supposed to be an adaptation of OpenGL
ES 2.0, so rather than thinking of it as "WebGL," think of it like OpenGL ES
2.0 by another name. If you consider that, then you'd find that any device
that cannot do OpenGL ES 2.0 doesn't really make much sense as a WebGL
target either.

And in defense of OpenGL ES 2.0 / WebGL, it is very flexible and yet
minimalistic, dropping all of the baggage that would be duplicated features
between fixed function and programmable pipelines, and required buffered
data, which has enforced more thought into how people store their data. Not
too bad an idea.

It just isn't within the scope of the WebGL spec to handle any generic piece
of hardware that can do perspective correct texture mapping. You're looking
for OpenGL 1.1+, which no spec. has been written for the Web. You'll have to
be content running native code, or drafting a different GL standard that
matches OpenGL 1.1+.

Patrick