[Public WebGL] In defense of older hardware

Chris Marrin [email protected]
Fri Jan 15 14:25:36 PST 2010

On Jan 15, 2010, at 11:51 AM, stephen white wrote:

> On 16/01/2010, at 5:51 AM, Patrick Baggett wrote:
>> It just isn't within the scope of the WebGL spec to handle any generic piece of hardware that can do perspective correct texture mapping. You're looking for OpenGL 1.1+, which no spec. has been written for the Web. You'll have to be content running native code, or drafting a different GL standard that matches OpenGL 1.1+.
>

> I'm arguing more along the lines that WebGL is going to have to handle deprecated APIs anyway, as time moves on and ES 2.0 is replaced with ES 3.0 or CL or some future specification.
>
> So if there is a deprecated API section in WebGL that has the absolute minimum to enable access to older hardware, then a much greater number of users would be able to see why WebGL is something they want to care about.

There's one other thing I wanted to say. It's true that as time moves on, so will the standards. What is advanced today will become legacy in the future. The question is where do you put your stake in the ground. We could put it at 5 year old hardware and we'd get lots of coverage. But the API would already be outdated and we'd do extra work and take extra time. By the time we're done that old hardware we worked so hard to support might be moot.

We knew putting our stake at OpenGL ES 2.0 was going to reduce the supportable hardware. We chose it so we could start lean and grow from there.

-----
~Chris
[email protected]