[Public WebGL] getContext multiple context language

Vladimir Vukicevic [email protected]
Tue Jan 26 13:09:21 PST 2010

On 1/26/2010 1:04 PM, Vangelis Kokkevis wrote:

> [...]
>     >
>     > object getContext(in DOMString contextId, in optional any
>     attributes)
>     >
>     > 'contextId' must be a string naming a canvas rendering context to be
>     > returned.  For example, this specification defines the '2d'
>     context, which,
>     > if requested, will return either a reference to an object
>     implementing
>     > CanvasRenderingContext2D or null, if a 2D context cannot be
>     created at this
>     > time.  Other specifications may define their own contexts, which
>     would
>     > return different objects.
>     >
>     > If getContext() is called with a contextId that the
>     implementation supports
>     > and such a context can be created, a reference to an object
>     implementing the
>     > context API is returned and the new context is added to the list
>     of active
>     > contexts for this canvas.  If contextId is not supported or it
>     cannot be
>     > created, null is returned.  The optional 'attributes' parameter
>     must be
>     > either null, or an object specific to the context being
>     requested.  A null
>     > or unspecified value for the 'attributes' parameter is equivalent to
>     > requesting default attributes for the given context.  Any
>     unknown attributes
>     > should be ignored by the context.
>     >
>     > If the canvas has at least one active context and getContext()
>     is called
>     > with a contextId that names an already-active context, it must
>     return the
>     > same resulting context object provided that the attributes are
>     identical to
>     > all previous requests for that context ID.  If the attributes
>     are not
>     > identical, getContext() must raise an INVALID_STATE_ERR
>     exception.  (XXX is
>     > INVALID_STATE the right thing here? or is SYNTAX_ERR better?)
>     Deciding
>     > which attributes are identical is up to the specific context being
>     > requested, but should mean that the requested attributes and
>     their values
>     > are the same as in all previous getContext() calls with this
>     contextId.
>
>     I think it would be better if the attributes were ignored for the
>     second and subsequent requests for a given contextId. The context
>     creation attributes, at least in the case of WebGL, are a request,
>     rather than a requirement, of capabilities. If a given platform
>     happens to not support multisampling, then the return value of
>     WebGLRenderingContext.getContextAttributes() will contain "false" for
>     its "antialias" attribute, regardless of whether the user requested
>     antialiasing during the Canvas.getContext() call.

One thing that I have on my todo list (it's actually done, just need to
make sure I don't screw up the svn line endings) is to change the webgl
attributes object a bit -- we changed 'antialias' to 'antialiasHint',
and made the other non-Hint attributes requirements... that is, if you
request stencil, you either get a context with a stencil buffer, or
null.  For the Hint attributes, you can get anything, but you indicate
your preference.

One thing that I didn't do here but might be a good idea is to move
getContextAttributes(contextId) to the canvas itself, as opposed to
putting it on the context.  That seems to be better symmetry.

>     If we require that the attributes must be identical during all
>     requests, then exactly what version of the attributes need to be
>     passed? The originally requested ones, which might not have been able
>     to be honored, or the actual attributes that were satisfied by the
>     implementation?
>
>     For this reason I strongly think that it would be a mistake to pay
>     attention to the attributes on second and subsequent getContext()
>     calls. Here is suggested re-wording:
>
>     "If getContext() is called with a contextId that names an
>     already-active context, it must return the same resulting context
>     object. In this case, the attributes, if any, are ignored."
>
>     -Ken
>

> I agree with Ken's suggestion.  If the point of being able to call
> getContext() multiple times is to avoid having to pass the context
> object around then requiring every call to use the same arguments
> seems to negate that benefit (you would have to pass the arguments
> around instead).  It also possibly creates an expectation that by
> passing a different set of arguments you could modify an existing
> context which we know it's not what happens.

It would be simpler, but the latter bit is exactly what worries me -- if
the attributes are just silently ignored, then the user might think that
a switch took place.

What about a third alternative: attributes are invalid on a getContext()
call for an already-active context?  That is, any subsequent getContext
call must not specify any attributes?

     - Vlad