[Public WebGL] getContext multiple context language

Vladimir Vukicevic [email protected]
Tue Jan 26 13:44:55 PST 2010

On 1/26/2010 1:26 PM, Kenneth Russell wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 1:09 PM, Vladimir Vukicevic
> <[email protected]>  wrote:
>
>> On 1/26/2010 1:04 PM, Vangelis Kokkevis wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 12:41 PM, Kenneth Russell<[email protected]>  wrote:

>>> I think it would be better if the attributes were ignored for the
>>> second and subsequent requests for a given contextId. The context
>>> creation attributes, at least in the case of WebGL, are a request,
>>> rather than a requirement, of capabilities. If a given platform
>>> happens to not support multisampling, then the return value of
>>> WebGLRenderingContext.getContextAttributes() will contain "false" for
>>> its "antialias" attribute, regardless of whether the user requested
>>> antialiasing during the Canvas.getContext() call.
>>>
>> One thing that I have on my todo list (it's actually done, just need to make
>> sure I don't screw up the svn line endings) is to change the webgl
>> attributes object a bit -- we changed 'antialias' to 'antialiasHint', and
>> made the other non-Hint attributes requirements... that is, if you request
>> stencil, you either get a context with a stencil buffer, or null.  For the
>> Hint attributes, you can get anything, but you indicate your preference.
>>
> I thought from earlier discussions that we were going to stay closer
> to WGL's (and Mac OS X's) approach to the matching of the attributes
> than that of GLX. In WGL, the pixel format best matching the requested
> attributes is returned, while in GLX, if any one of the requested
> attributes can't be satisfied, glXChooseVisual / glXChooseFBConfig
> fails. GLX's behavior is too stringent in my experience. If we do
> this, then it isn't necessary to change the naming of any of the
> attributes in WebGLContextAttributes.
>
> In particular, I don't like the idea that we are mandating the
> presence of the stencil buffer by default. This would mean that all
> current WebGL implementations are not spec compliant.

That's a good point; but I'd rather fix that by changing the defaults in
the spec.  Things like stencil and depth buffer seem like hard
requirements for an app to me; I guess if a stencil buffer isn't
available an app could use a different algorithm in some cases, but if
the app does have that option then it could just retry the getContext()
call.  I realize that this gets into the somewhat ugly gl attribs loops
that are found in C, but it's either that or requiring every app to
ensure that, for example, it got a depth buffer.  Seems that the
simplest code would be for an app to request some basic capabilities,
such as depth and maybe stencil, and require that it gets those;
antialiasing is the outlier here, since the app would run just fine
without AA... thus the 'Hint' status.

>> One thing that I didn't do here but might be a good idea is to move
>> getContextAttributes(contextId) to the canvas itself, as opposed to putting
>> it on the context.  That seems to be better symmetry.
>>
> Perhaps. For convenience though it seems helpful to retain
> getContextAttributes() on the context object itself.

>>> I agree with Ken's suggestion.  If the point of being able to call
>>> getContext() multiple times is to avoid having to pass the context object
>>> around then requiring every call to use the same arguments seems to negate
>>> that benefit (you would have to pass the arguments around instead).  It also
>>> possibly creates an expectation that by passing a different set of arguments
>>> you could modify an existing context which we know it's not what happens.
>>
>> It would be simpler, but the latter bit is exactly what worries me -- if the
>> attributes are just silently ignored, then the user might think that a
>> switch took place.
>>
>> What about a third alternative: attributes are invalid on a getContext()
>> call for an already-active context?  That is, any subsequent getContext call
>> must not specify any attributes?
>>
> I think this will lead to problems when composing multiple libraries
> that all use WebGL, so I still think the attributes should just be
> ignored on the second and subsequent getContext() calls. Well-written
> libraries will check the context attributes and ensure that they got
> all of the features they require; but the vast majority of libraries
> that don't will still work, and interoperate cleanly.

Hmm, that's exactly the problem that I was trying to solve by requiring
the attributes to always be passed... that is, if library A requests
some attributes, and library B requests other attributes, library B
won't have any option but to fail if it inspects the attributes after
the fact.. or it would have ignored them in the first place.

However, really, I want to strongly discourage people from using
getContext(); I'd like authors to call getContext once and then pass
around the context object.  The language that's in there currently about
requiring the same attributes is an oblique way at encouraging that.  If
we didn't already have code using getContext("2d") all over the place in
rendering loops, I'd push for making it illegal to call getContext more
than once with the same context name.  I don't think the point of being
able to call getContext() multiple times is necessarily to avoid having
to pass around the context... you'd still have to pass around the canvas
element.

I still think the safest option is to require that the same set of
attributes is specified in each call -- silent-ignore behaviour for
something like this seems wrong, and my suggested
error-if-specified-at-all behaviour is really just a bandaid for that
problem.

We can try to craft another alternative:

- First call to getContext -- unspecified attributes means defaults,
specified as given.
- Subsequent calls to getContext -- unspecified attributes means "give
me what's there", specified as given, error if specified isn't a subset
of currently active attributes.

That doesn't discourage using getContext() multiple times, but it gets
rid of any silent-ignore behaviour, and gives libraries a way to
interoperate if they have no specific attribute requests.

     - Vlad