[Public WebGL] determining depth of z-buffer

Stephen Bannasch [email protected]
Wed Feb 2 12:37:08 PST 2011

Following up on my clipping problem setting the far clip plane I was wondering how to tell how many bits the Z-buffer has and
whether I can find out using WebGL directly.

I've just started using the GLView Extensions Viewer (http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/) to browse a great deal of OpenGL and
video card data and while lookingto see if I can see what my Z-buffer depth is I found the following:

  Pixel Formats:Depth Buffer Modes
      0 bpp
     16 bpp
     24 bpp

Are these the available Z-buffer depths?

Is there a way I can find the Z-buffer depth using WebGL so I can either collect forensic data from deployments or optionally
use different near and far clipping planes?