[Public WebGL] determining depth of z-buffer

Giles Thomas [email protected]
Wed Feb 2 16:38:02 PST 2011

Steve,

Thanks for the naming and the critique of depth-strip[ep]ing!

The trick of drawing objects up close as being larger but further away
sounds neat, but how do you stop them from being obscured by objects that
are further away than the objects' real depth but closer than the depth at
which you draw them?  I can imagine that it might not be an issue with the
Predator specifically (because most things are either very far away from it
-- targets -- or very close -- the drone itself) but could it work in a more
general case?

Also:

On 3 February 2011 00:20, Steve Baker <[email protected]> wrote:

> The alternative is just to turn off Z-testing and Z-writing and draw the
> sky before anything else on the screen.

That sounds way better than my idea of clearing the Z-buffer, but if you're
drawing the skysphere first, why do you switch off Z-testing?

Cheers,

Giles

--
Giles Thomas