[Public WebGL] GL_OES_element_index_uint

Kenneth Russell [email protected]
Thu Feb 10 15:35:51 PST 2011

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 2:52 PM, Jonathan Feldstein <[email protected]> wrote:
> After playing around with WebGL one thing that I noticed was that the
> specification seems to be missing the ability to create 32-bit index
> buffers. OpenGL ES 2.0 has the ability to enable this with the:
> GL_OES_element_index_uint extension.
>
> 65536 possible index values doesn’t really seem like enough values for
> today’s games. People will be forced to split their index values into
> multiple arrays of data. Would it be possible to add this extension, or is
> there a good reason that it is currently absent?

I don't think the WebGL working group has discussed this extension.
However, after doing some searching, it looks like while Android
hardware has widespread support for it, it isn't supported on any
current iOS hardware, iPhone or iPad. We want WebGL content to run
identically across desktop and mobile hardware, so in my opinion the
lack of support on iOS makes adding it to the WebGL extension registry
a non-starter.