[Public WebGL] Context lost event in Chrome

Kornmann, Ralf [email protected]
Tue Feb 22 22:44:52 PST 2011

Yes, Direct3D9Ex requires the new graphics subsystem that was introduced with Windows Vista.

The reason why you lost the context/device when the screen saver kicks in is a desktop switch. While your browser runs in a general user desktop the screen saver uses the same desktop as the login/security system. Direct3D9 always throw away all devices when such an desktop switch happens. You should be able to test this by locking the desktop (windows key + L) instead of waiting for the screen saver.

-Ralf
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Alexey Marinichev
Sent: Mittwoch, 23. Februar 2011 02:24
To: Mark Callow
Cc: Steve Baker; public webgl
Subject: Re: [Public WebGL] Context lost event in Chrome

Windows XP does not implement Direct3D9Ex interface.  According to the comment in Display.cpp:

    // Use Direct3D9Ex if available. Among other things, this version is less
    // inclined to report a lost context, for example when the user switches
    // desktop. Direct3D9Ex is available in Windows Vista and later if suitable drivers are available.