[Public WebGL] (summarizing) Canvas.getContext error handling

Glenn Maynard [email protected]
Mon May 2 07:53:52 PDT 2011

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 1:54 AM, Cedric Vivier <[email protected]> wrote:
>> No, upstream was opposed to the idea of getContext reporting the
>> reason for the error at all.  This applies to either approach.  He
>> argued (briefly--I didn't press the issue, so I don't know how
>> strongly he feels about this) that the reason for the context failing
>> shouldn't even be exposed to scripts.
>
> This does not apply to option #1 approach, the application only gets
> notified the context is not currently available _as usual_ (null), the
> application does not know the reason.
>
> Otherwise I completely agree with this, in fact this is the main
> reason why I'm strongly leaning towards option #1.
> I also believe the reason for context creation failure should not be
> exposed to scripts, except for debugging purposes only, which was the
> (long forgotten?) rationale for webglcontextcreationerror in the first
> place iirc (otherwise we would also have statusCode rather than
> statusMessage only).

Whatever the intended use is, exposed to scripts is exposed to
scripts.  One of his arguments was a security one, which definitely
applies to either method (putting aside whether we agree with the
argument itself--that discussion can take place on the whatwg thread).

Anyhow, let's wait and see what comes out of whatwg.

--
Glenn Maynard