[Public WebGL] Re: [whatwg] Canvas.getContext error handling

Glenn Maynard [email protected]
Thu May 5 18:09:15 PDT 2011

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 8:00 PM, Kenneth Russell <[email protected]> wrote:
> It sounds like my earlier objection may have caused an impasse.

Well, we're waiting for a response on whatwg.  There's always a
response, but it can take a while (overburdened spec editors, I
assume).

> To clarify, the reason for the objection was the following. If the GPU is
> blacklisted, or some rare and unexpected error happens during OpenGL
> context creation, then it is important to be able to communicate that
> fact clearly to the developer, and from there to the end user.

I know what you're saying, but to interject here: hopefully the common
case for displaying errors won't be from the developer to the end
user, but from the browser directly to the end user.  (They aren't
doing this at all yet.)

FWIW, I don't have any strong opinion either way on this.  Personally,
I suspect the errors for the real uncommon cases (that is, anything
except "GPU blacklisted", "GPU/drivers insufficient" or "browser
doesn't support WebGL at all, I think) will probably not give very
useful error messages anyway.  It'd be nice to get error messages like
"D3D surface creation failed: error code", "WebGL not supported;
hardware ID: Voodoo 3" or "GPU blacklisted; reason: crashy nVidia
driver", since that would give developers a way to give at least a
bare amount of support to their users, but I doubt browsers will ever
expose that level of detail.  (They don't even expose a real
GL_VENDOR.)

--
Glenn Maynard