[Public WebGL] Re: [whatwg] Canvas.getContext error handling

Gregg Tavares (wrk) [email protected]
Fri May 6 00:13:54 PDT 2011

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 11:34 PM, Mikko Mononen <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 4:09 AM, Glenn Maynard <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 8:00 PM, Kenneth Russell <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> It sounds like my earlier objection may have caused an impasse.
> >
> > Well, we're waiting for a response on whatwg.  There's always a
> > response, but it can take a while (overburdened spec editors, I
> > assume).
> >
> >> To clarify, the reason for the objection was the following. If the GPU
> is
> >> blacklisted, or some rare and unexpected error happens during OpenGL
> >> context creation, then it is important to be able to communicate that
> >> fact clearly to the developer, and from there to the end user.
> >
> > I know what you're saying, but to interject here: hopefully the common
> > case for displaying errors won't be from the developer to the end
> > user, but from the browser directly to the end user.  (They aren't
> > doing this at all yet.)
>
> As a developer I have to disagree with the idea of browser directly
> talking to the user. IMHO This is different situation that a missing
> plugin.
>
> Currently the situation is that a lot of the folks coming to a webgl
> site can indeed see the content (in our case I think it is something
> like >60%). A great deal of the rest of users can be encourage to
> upgrade to a more fresh browser to make things work. That leaves us
> about 10% of users who either have old or weird os/driver combination.
> Those people need to be handled with developers support, because it
> generally is too complicated for them to triage the problem
> themselves, or it is too complicated to write comprehensive guide how
> to fix things*.
>
> There is no way my mum could understand what to do if she gets "Cannot
> initialize webgl" alert box when entering a home planner site. If
> simple request of upgrading a browser on developers site cannot fix
> the problem, then the user needs to be channeled to the developer
> support, and in that case the developer should be able to have as much
> information as possible (such as the messages explained below) so the
> the support can explain the user why the problem exists. Most of the
> time the answer will be "you have too old computer/os", but it is nice
> to be able to tell that in person, if that is the way the company
> wants to handle support.
>
> *) http://get.webgl.org/troubleshooting/ is currently so dodgy that I
> do not dare to direct people there. Any change to be able to embed the
> script to your own site?

What do you need fixed and we'll get it fixed.

It would be bad IMO for developers to put this on they're own site because
they are unlikely to update it as new browsers, pages and platforms appear.

It's also unlikely that most devs