[Public WebGL] Re: [whatwg] Canvas.getContext error handling

Cedric Vivier [email protected]
Fri May 6 02:59:03 PDT 2011

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 16:41, Mikko Mononen <[email protected]> wrote:
> Do you have a practical example how the user/browser/developer would
> interact in the case when for example the driver is blacklisted?

I posted an example in the other thread of how a browser might present
a known WebGL issue, an unobstrusive infobar at the top of the tab :

==
This web page could not initialize WebGL (what is this?) because of
obsolete graphics drivers.      [Upgrade driver now] [Do it later]
[Forget it]
==

In other words, it could be indeed something similar to what most
browsers already do when a plugin (eg Flash) is not available and
needs to be installed, or when the browser requires user action to
authorize a script feature (eg. geolocation API).

User-friendly troubleshooting of WebGL is something that browsers do
not handle at all currently, we will hopefully improve this situation.

Regards,