[Public WebGL] Re: [whatwg] Canvas.getContext error handling

Glenn Maynard [email protected]
Fri May 6 16:25:28 PDT 2011

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 6:46 PM, David Sheets <[email protected]> wrote:
> The proposed solution is to make the reference in the form of a
> conditionally downloaded, centrally maintained diagnostic script that
> lets users stay on an application site.

This isn't a solution at all.  A remote script can't provide real
diagnostics for installing WebGL, since a remote script doesn't have
access to the necessary information: driver versions, GPU manufacturer
and product, the browser's current GPU blacklist, and so on.

> The alternative is that the small WebGL players use get.webgl.org and
> suffer the UX and friction while the big WebGL players actively
> maintain their own diagnostics (at considerable expense) for better UX
> and lower friction. This harms adoption.

This is the only way that can actually give a useful UI to end users
for anything but trivial cases that can be detected browser-side (eg.
checking whether WebGL interfaces exist and known browser version
checks).

However, this isn't an "alternative".  They're not mutually exclusive,
and browsers will always have the option of doing this.  (I'm not
really sure what you're suggesting "harms adoption" here, either.  It
seems like you're saying that major browsers giving better diagnostic
UI would harm adoption.)

--
Glenn Maynard