[Public WebGL] Re: [whatwg] Canvas.getContext error handling

Glenn Maynard [email protected]
Fri May 6 17:32:16 PDT 2011

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 8:09 PM, David Sheets <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 4:25 PM, Glenn Maynard <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 6:46 PM, David Sheets <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> The proposed solution is to make the reference in the form of a
>>> conditionally downloaded, centrally maintained diagnostic script that
>>> lets users stay on an application site.
>>
>> This isn't a solution at all.  A remote script can't provide real
>> diagnostics for installing WebGL, since a remote script doesn't have
>> access to the necessary information: driver versions, GPU manufacturer
>> and product, the browser's current GPU blacklist, and so on.
>
> This is the same situation as with the current get.webgl.org site.

It's get.webgl.org I'm talking about.  This discussion is about
in-browser diagnostics (provided by the browser, with full access to
the system) versus in-site diagnostics like get.webgl.org, and how
useful the error messages provided to scripts by getContext are to the
latter in practice.  If you're just talking about how to implement
in-site diagnostics, please start another thread so this one isn't
derailed.  Thanks.

--
Glenn Maynard