[Public WebGL] Re: [whatwg] Canvas.getContext error handling

Mikko Mononen [email protected]
Sun May 8 01:52:51 PDT 2011

I included the get.webgl.org since it has been promoted at the main
vessel to help people to solve webgl issues. This discussion ties into
what the returned error message should be, and how is responsible to
deal with the error.

IMHO Error reporting is always more of an UX issue, than a code issue.
For that reason, I hope that there would a clear guideline (from
webgl) on what should be done in case of webgl errors (like console
TCRs) and a simple default implementation to help adobtation (like
webgl-utils).

+1 for David's proposal. I would be really happy if with the situation
that the browser could directly provide a browser specific link to a
trouble shooting site in the case the browser supports webgl, but it
could not be initialized (blacklisted, internal error, etc).

I'm fine with banner message boxes too as mentioned earlier. Would
that be something all browser vendors agree on implementing? I.e. it
is something I can refer to in the site copy? What if user chooses to
ignore it?

What should I do in other cases, direct people to get.webgl.org? For
me the biggest problem with get.webgl.org is that it does not look
something I can trust. It needs to look professional and it needs
branding which ties it to browser makers (I doupt the public knows
about khronos). I would be fine if get.webgl.org/troubleshooting would
be just just redirect service to browser vendors troubleshooting
pages. The mainpage should be more informative and written in a way
that it expects the user to come there because he/she does not not
have up to date browser or webgl is not supported in her platform. One
thing will always be missing here is what to do when none of the
upgrade options match the user's profile.

I apologize for dragging the discussion into tangent. My point is that
the decision you guys make on the error message has effect all the way
up to the end user. What I gather from the current proposals, it is
not clear who is responsible for trying to resolve the problem of the
end user.

--mikko

--
Mikko Mononen, Software Engineer