[Public WebGL] oes-texture-float conformance

Benoit Jacob [email protected]
Tue May 10 05:52:07 PDT 2011

Hi List,

We have had a patch ready for the OES_texture_float extension for some time, but we can't easily pass the conformance test because of this part:

function runUniqueObjectTest()
{
    debug("Testing that getExtension() returns the same object each time");
    gl.getExtension("OES_texture_float").myProperty = 2;
    if (window.GCController) {
        window.GCController.collect();
    } else {
        attemptToForceGC();
    }
    shouldBe('gl.getExtension("OES_texture_float").myProperty', '2');
}

These semantics are nontrivial to implement on our side. Not impossible, but not trivial either. I feel compelled to ask:

What benefit do these semantics bring to the user?

The other concern about this test is the GC part. What is window.GCController? Is that a WebKit-ism? Do we really want to have browser-specific code in conformance tests? Other browsers will use attemptToForceGC() which may or may not actually result in a GC run, giving non-deterministic results. In short, I question whether it's a good idea for a conformance test to rely on GC runs.

Finally, I don't really see where in the spec these semantics are required. Section 5.13.14 says "Multiple calls to getExtension with the same extension string shall return the same object" but it's not entirely clear to me what that means in the case where the user modified that object in between, as we then have to choose between returning the modified object (behavior required by the test) or an object that is identical to the object that was returned the first time (which would be easy to implement).

Cheers,
Benoit