[Public WebGL] Re: [whatwg] Canvas.getContext error handling

Cedric Vivier [email protected]
Thu May 12 02:18:56 PDT 2011

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 13:58, Glenn Maynard <[email protected]> wrote:
> (FYI: while some people have expressed interest in async init for WebGL, I'm
> not going to push for this myself and nobody else seems to want it badly
> enough to, so I've dropped this.)

I, for one, badly want it... for a future revision of WebGL though, we
need first a minimally intrusive fix to the existing spec.

This will greatly help to get more applications to support context
loss/resume (something that lacks currently, there's simply no
incentive).

Also, async init will be necessary for browsers to implement
non-blocking/non-modal troubleshooting or permission UI at context
creation.

For instance a browser (or a browser extension) could ask the user for
permission to accept/deny WebGL context creation, similarly to how the
user gives permission for a web page to detect his/her location with
Geolocation API.

While some users might like this by default (hence a browser extension
could propose this), more importantly it could allow WebGL to run on a
case-by-case basis (when the user trusts the web page) on drivers
without ARB_robustness, instead of having WebGL completely disabled.

Regards,