[Public WebGL] Vetex shader texture lookups

Philip Taylor [email protected]
Fri May 20 07:26:32 PDT 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 5:50 PM,  <[email protected]> wrote:
> Yeah - to be 100% clear on this:  There is hardware out there that is
> supported by WebGL but which does not support vertex texture lookups.
>
> So even after this is fixed in ANGLE and the fixes are on everyone's
> computers, you STILL cannot 100% rely on there being vertex texture
> support.  The key here being that the specification requires you to query
> the number of vertex textures available - and the response to that is
> allowed to be zero - and it most certainly IS zero on a couple of older
> computers that I own.

In case it's relevant for this kind of issue,
http://feedback.wildfiregames.com/report/opengl/feature/GL_MAX_VERTEX_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS_ARB
has some recent data about the values reported by devices/drivers that
have GL_ARB_vertex_shader. (I set up that site as part of a GL-based
game, so there's no data about DirectX capabilities which I presume
are what matter for ANGLE, but hopefully it gives some indication.)

--
Philip Taylor
[email protected]