[Public WebGL] Oversight in bufferData and bufferSubData specification

Kenneth Russell [email protected]
Mon May 23 11:28:24 PDT 2011

On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 12:31 AM, Cedric Vivier <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 14:16, Kenneth Russell <[email protected]> wrote:
>> From the standpoint of strongly typing the IDL, only the
>> ArrayBufferView subclasses that can legally be used in the API should
>> be accepted. If a future version of WebGL begins to accept
>> double-precision floating-point values, then the IDL could either be
>> changed to add overloads taking Float64Array, or could be changed back
>> to what it is now, taking the superclass ArrayBufferView.
>>

> How about rather specifying that an INVALID_OPERATION is generated
> when passing a Float64Array ?
>
> We already do that kind of check with texImage2D if the
> ArrayBufferView type does not correspond with the format.
> This would keep the IDL lighter and allow extensions to use Float64
> buffers with the same API instead of having to declare their own.

That's definitely an option -- see the first message in this thread.
All things considered it may be the best one -- although I think it
should be an INVALID_VALUE error, because under the current API
constraints, a value of type Float64Array is never valid (as opposed
to occasionally valid, depending on context state).