[Public WebGL] Oversight in bufferData and bufferSubData specification

Cedric Vivier [email protected]
Mon May 23 11:46:46 PDT 2011

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 01:33, Kenneth Russell <[email protected]> wrote:
> Supporting uploading of Float64Arrays with no error reporting at all
> gives the incorrect impression that such data can somehow be validly
> referenced on the GPU, which it can't in the OpenGL ES 2.0 API. At a
> minimum I think that an OpenGL error should be raised if one is passed
> to bufferData or bufferSubData.

I agree with Ken, as long the IDL is kept flexible as it is now.
An INVALID_VALUE would help debug invalid/garbage output a developer
would be seeing because of a simple 'typo'.

People doing advanced stuff like interleaving with 64-bit floats would
still be able to use their buffers, casting to Float32 first (which
better expresses the intent [ie. "this ArrayBuffer is interleaved with
64-bit floats but I want to use 32-bit floats with this GL buffer"]).

Regards,