[Public WebGL] ANGLE Dynamic Indexing of Arrays of Samplers

Tim Johansson [email protected]
Thu May 26 23:58:50 PDT 2011

On 2011-05-26 19:19, Chris Marrin wrote:

> I'm adding the following statement to the differences section:
>
>      The GLSL ES spec<a href="#refsGLES20GLSL">[GLES20GLSL]</a>  allows but does not mandate support for dynamic
>      indexing of arrays of samplers. WebGL disallows this support.
>
> This is in support of tightening the language about array bounds checking. Does ANGLE currently make this check and disallow such indexing?

I would be very surprised if it did as it could not possible pass the
conformance tests if it did.

The test gl-min-textures.html has a shader which looks like:

"uniform sampler2D uni[8];
void main()
{
     vec4 c = vec4(0,0,0,0);
     for (int ii = 0; ii < NUM_TEXTURES; ++ii) {
       c += texture2D(uni[ii], vec2(0.5, 0.5));
     }
     gl_FragColor = c;
}"

That is preventing us from passing the conformance tests on some GLES
implementations.

There is also an unrolled version of the test which does not use dynamic
indexing of sampler arrays - gl-min-textures-unroll.html. Do the persons
who wrote those two tests (svn indicates Gregg and Mo) know if there are
any known problems with the unrolled version or if we can just switch to
using that?

//Tim