[Public WebGL] Could Flash run OpenGL ES 2.0 shaders?

Ben Vanik [email protected]
Mon May 30 14:55:47 PDT 2011

I actually started playing with the concept awhile back with the goal of
getting WebGL running on Flash Molehill. Unfortunately, the overhead for
communicating frame data to Flash was just too high - both in terms of
garbage created (causing frequent, long GCs and dropped frames) and the
latency (synchronous calls over ExternalInterface, no matter how optimized,
suck). It'd work fine for static or pre-defined scenes, but if you are
trying to respond to user input it doesn't work well enough to be usable
(e.g., games).