[Public WebGL] readPixles() can't access float values (OES_texture_float interaction)

Mark Callow [email protected]
Tue Sep 13 16:22:07 PDT 2011

Doing this goes against the long standing principle of uniformity across
implementations. Allowing extensions cracked open the door to
non-uniformity. This decision blows it wide open. These demos, that have
wowed people to the extent of ignoring the long standing principle, will
likely only be seen by a minority of web users.

The facts of the matter are that there is NO mobile GPU design that
supports rendering to float buffers and only a single mobile GPU design
that supports rendering to half-float buffers. It will be probably 2
years before this situation changes. Furthermore determining whether or
not a WebGL implementation supports such rendering is a lot more complex
than a simple query. I expect there will be many developers who will get
a nasty suprise after deploying their applications when they find it
does not work for a substantial number of people.

Regards

    -Mark