[Public WebGL] readPixles() can't access float values (OES_texture_float interaction)

Mark Callow [email protected]
Thu Sep 15 11:34:44 PDT 2011

On 2011/09/14 16:23, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> It's not that it makes WebGL useless; it's that it makes it
> uncompetitive against other development platforms, which makes the
> decision to base development on WebGL a more difficult one.
What other platforms do you have in mind?

> I also just don't see the advantage--so long as optional features are
> always implemented as extensions, to prevent unintentional testing
> variables; as long as they're only added when they have a stable
> OpenGL interface to follow; which have been shown to be of value
> (hopefully implied by the previous).
As currently specified this particular feature can easily be used
without the developer realizing that it is an optional feature lacking
wide support.

The OES_texture_float extension and the original WebGL version thereof
do not add support for floating point rendering. It is an accident that
some WebGL implementations chose to do so. There is no OES or ARB
extension that is the equivalent of the current WebGL texture float
extension so one cannot say it is mature and proven.

There are ARB_texture_float and ARB_color_buffer_float extensions but
they pre-date framebuffer_objects. ARB_color_buffer_float specifies
commands for color clamping that were agreed to be necessary when using
floating point render-buffers. Since these are not included in the WebGL
extension, no clamping of floating point color values is possible.

Regards

    -Mark