[Public WebGL] readPixles() can't access float values (OES_texture_float interaction)

Florian Bösch [email protected]
Fri Sep 16 11:29:11 PDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 8:08 PM, Mark Callow <[email protected]>wrote:

>  Would you object to having to modify your applications to explicitly
> enable rendering to floating point buffers?

I personally don't object to this. However a bunch of demos floating around
the web (including some on chrome experiments) will also break, and those
people will have to be notified and change it as well. I think people who've
put demos online might be upset when their demos out of the blue sky.

>  It is the high probability that this far from universally supported
> feature will be used without the developer realizing that it is optional
> that is causing my objections.

Far as I know, it's only optional on mobile devices which by far and large
don't support WebGL right now anyway. Are there actually desktop graphics
cards that support framebuffers with texture attachments and floating point
textures, which do not allow  floating point textures specifically to be
attached?