[Public WebGL] readPixles() can't access float values (OES_texture_float interaction)

Glenn Maynard [email protected]
Fri Sep 16 14:59:21 PDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 2:14 PM, Kenneth Russell <[email protected]> wrote:

> Shouldn't the existing need to check the framebuffer's status be
> sufficient? Applications that don't check for FBO completeness are by
> definition incorrectly written. These applications already have to
> request the floating-point texture extension from WebGL.

WebGL's extension mechanism draws a very different policy for optional
features than OpenGL: the application has to explicitly enable extensions,
even when it has no new entry points or constants, in order to ensure that
developers know when they're using optional functionality.  It's not just a
mechanism for the program to detect whether the implementation provides the
feature; it's also a mechanism for the implementation to not expose
functionality that hasn't been explicitly enabled.

I do think it would make sense to extend that here, if the compatibility
break is considered acceptable.

(Of course, applications would have to support both methods for a while to
support current implementations, importing the extension if present but not
depending on it for feature detection, but that would probably only be
needed for a year or so.)

--
Glenn Maynard