[Public WebGL] readPixles() can't access float values (OES_texture_float interaction)

Mark Callow [email protected]
Mon Sep 19 11:55:42 PDT 2011

On 11/09/19 11:36, Kenneth Russell wrote:
> since there's at least
> one piece of ES20 compliant hardware that exposes such support under
> the umbrella of OES_texture_half_float, I think we should leave render
> to FP texture support as an optional feature under WebGL's FP texture
> extensions.

There is no such hardware. The Tegra, that you are thinking of, has an
NV extension that exposes the half-float rendering. Desktop GL also had
separate texture float and color-buffer float extensions, (though the
latter predates FBO so is only for the default framebuffer; when FBOs
were introduced to desktop float rendering was supported so no extension
was necessary).

The ES group has no interest in a color_buffer_float extension because
no vendor currently has the feature.

Regards

    -Mark