[Public WebGL] readPixles() can't access float values (OES_texture_float interaction)

Chris Marrin [email protected]
Tue Sep 20 11:39:24 PDT 2011

On Sep 19, 2011, at 1:29 PM, Kenneth Russell wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 12:32 PM, Glenn Maynard <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 2:36 PM, Kenneth Russell <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not in favor of adding a WebGL-specific extension that has to be
>>> separately enabled in order to attach FP textures to an FBO. If there
>>> were an ES20 extension defining FP framebuffer support, that would be
>>> a different question.
>>
>> I disagree with the idea that WebGL shouldn't do this because ES doesn't.
>> ES and WebGL have different policies for extensions, and I think WebGL's
>> rationale for breaking from ES in this applies here as well: don't expose
>> optional functionality unless it's explicitly enabled.
>
> The developer has already expressed the intent to use optional
> functionality by enabling the OES_texture_float or
> OES_texture_half_float extension in his or her WebGL application.

And that extension controls the ability to create and use floating point textures. I don't think that extension should be used to govern the use of those textures as renderbuffers, which is required to render to them as part of an FBO. There exists hardware which can do one and not the other. We should require the author explicitly request each feature separately.

-----
~Chris
[email protected]