[Public WebGL] readPixles() can't access float values (OES_texture_float interaction)

Florian Bösch [email protected]
Wed Sep 21 14:52:16 PDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 10:56 PM, Chris Marrin <[email protected]> wrote:

> It is terrible if there is no guaranteed combination of FBO attachments.

Yes, I find this terrible as well. It is however the unfortunate result of
hardware and driver makers to resist the considerable efforts of
commoditization by software providers and standard bodies. Being free of
hardware, driver and operating system specific idiosyncrasies will remain an
elusive ideal long as hardware companies cannot come together and commit to
a consumer-friendly iron-cast baseline support of HW accelerated rendering.

> It will make using FBO's almost useless for this audience.

If not, I think it will be too hard for authors to use FBO's, IMHO.

I feel condescended to right there. I (as a WebGL user) am fully capable of
dealing with FBO validity as it is right now. No grand scheme of and matrix
of support is required for me. All of dozens of WebGL framework makers can
deal with FBOs. Anybody who's interested can deal with them right now if
willing to write (or include) a dozen lines of code, and read a couple
sentences about how their validity works. Checking for valid FBOs is not
difficult.

I still really think we should have an extension explicitly enabling
> rendering to a floating point buffer. And I think we should provide the
> author with some guarantees about constructing an FBO. Together, I think we
> can make it easy for authors to use them and to have confidence that they'll
> work.

FBOs are working for me right now, and the guarantees that the validity
makes about them is enough for me.