[Public WebGL] readPixles() can't access float values (OES_texture_float interaction)

Glenn Maynard [email protected]
Wed Sep 21 14:56:21 PDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Chris Marrin <[email protected]> wrote:

> It is terrible if there is no guaranteed combination of FBO attachments. It
> will make using FBO's almost useless for this audience. I'd like to see a
> matrix of all the possible combinations and all of those that are supported
> by various hardware. I don't have time to make such a matrix, but if I did,
> I bet I'd see a pattern emerge that would allow us to give authors at least
> some guarantees. If not, I think it will be too hard for authors to use
> FBO's, IMHO.

I think it's terrible for desktop hardware, too.  I've always hated the FBO
API, which vaguely says "your framebuffer might be incomplete for any
reason, sorry, no, there's no way to automatically negotiate a format".  I
don't think it's too hard for authors to use--I'm an author of OpenGL
software and I've used it--but it's definitely a pain.

I'd love to see something done to improve this, to be sure, but as long as
OpenGL ES is the backend for any implementations (as I assume it is, at
least on mobile systems), it seems impossible for WebGL to provide any
guarantees that ES itself doesn't (like "this RB combination will never
return INCOMPLETE_ATTACHMENT).  I guess vendors could provide those
guarantees on a hardware-by-hardware basis if they have internal knowledge
of their particular ES implementation, but I'm guessing that wouldn't scale,
especially on Android...

--
Glenn Maynard