[Public WebGL] proposal draft for EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic

Florian Bösch [email protected]
Mon Apr 2 00:59:14 PDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 5:55 AM, James Robinson <[email protected]> wrote:

> I think the group's attention would be better spent in attempting to
> educate authors as to what level of support various extensions will receive
> and not ask them to jump through useless prefixing hoops.  Pick an
> extension name and either commit to supporting it or avoid exposing it to
> the general user population until it is ready.  Adding a prefix doesn't
> provide any additional flexibility, it just adds overhead.

I don't like vendor extensions either. But there's two reasons why they're
necessary:
- One vendor wants to do something the others do not yet want to do, and
that vendor should not commit everybody else implicitly to his idea.
- Weather you're using a prefix or some gl.getExperimentalExtension really
doesn't matter. s/experimental/<prefix>/g, at some point you will have a
differentiating API entry point string, so vendor prefix is as good as any.