[Public WebGL] Should WebGL's getSupportedExtensions return an array or a sequence?

Boris Zbarsky [email protected]
Mon Apr 2 08:23:41 PDT 2012

The current IDL is:

   DOMString[ ] getSupportedExtensions();

It's not quite obvious to me where the IDL array comes from in this
case.  In particular, I believe that needs to be defined so that the
steps in http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#es-array for converting
to an ECMAScript value can work:

    1) If V is already represented by a platform array object, then the
       ECMAScript value is that platform array object.
    2) Otherwise, the ECMAScript value is a newly created platform array
       object that represents V.

Without knowing whether the IDL array value is reused across invocations
or created anew every time, it's impossible to make the decision step 1
requires to be made.  Unless I'm missing something?

It seems to me that all the questions here would be sidestepped if this
function returned sequence<DOMString>, but if it needs to keep returning
an array there's a lot more behavior-defining that needs to happen.
Again, unless I'm missing something.

-Boris