[Public WebGL] gl_FragDepth and the focus of WebGL

Glenn Maynard [email protected]
Mon Apr 2 15:32:47 PDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 4:27 PM, dv <[email protected]> wrote:

> Why is WebGL so tightly coupled to GLES? It makes no sense! It should be a
> superset instead, a OpenGL ES + some extras from the main OpenGL. Placing
> limits from the mobile world on an API that can and will be used a lot on
> desktops feels weird. On mobiles, gl_FragDepth is not included because very
> few hardware chipsets exist that support it. On the desktop, it is not
> included becuase of ... mobiles?

While I strongly agree (as a random interested user of WebGL and nothing
more) that WebGL shouldn't be so focused on mobile, I'm not sure about
mixing OpenGL bits into OpenGL ES.  They're related but separate specs; I
don't think it's so simple to cherry pick features from OpenGL and add them
to ES.  The only thing making WebGL implementable and speccable, without an
order of magnitude more development work, is that it leans on an already
existing spec for the really hard stuff.

--
Glenn Maynard