[Public WebGL] hint(GENERATE_MIPMAP_HINT, *) never positively tested?

Patrick Baggett [email protected]
Tue Apr 3 06:57:07 PDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 7:33 PM, Jeff Gilbert <[email protected]> wrote:

> I am just fixing a bug where Firefox always generates INVALID_ENUM for
> perfectly valid calls to hint(GENERATE_MIPMAP_HINT, [FASTEST, NICEST,
> DONT_CARE]). The tests appear to check that invalid calls to hint()
> generate INVALID_ENUM, but they must not be checking if it ever works.
> Since this is a hint, and can always be silently ignored, should this be
> allowed to fail?
>
> I don't see how you can reliably test that a hint "worked" (as in, has an
effect on rendering), but it could test for INVALID_ENUM when given a
symbol that isn't in its accepted set. Beyond that, no, there really
shouldn't be any testing of the results.