[Public WebGL] OT: exception handling

Gregg Tavares (勤) [email protected]
Fri Apr 6 09:15:23 PDT 2012

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 1:05 AM, Florian Bösch <[email protected]> wrote:

> I think the whole idea of context lost is perverted and broken. If a
> system process runs out of memory. It gets sigtermed, if it oversteps its
> memory, it gets sighalted, no reasonably programming scheme would do things
> like silently free memory you've been using. It's why virtual memory
> managers, swap, protected memory etc. have been invented oh roundabouts
> 1970 and been thoroughly implemented on all personal computing hardware to
> around 1985, to being fully supported by any OS by around 1995. GPUs
> context lost is a barbaric regression to the glory days of 1950 or
> thereabouts in this regard.

You can rant all you want. Unfortunately it's today's reality. Lost context
is not going away anytime soon. That has nothing to do with WebGL. It has
to do with the current state of GPUs, drivers and OSes. GPUs are not CPUs.
Their memory isn't easily swapped or protected and currently none of them
are preempt-able. None of the browser vendors have control over that. Even
Apple doesn't write their own drivers or make their own GPUs.