[Public WebGL] OT: exception handling

Florian Bösch [email protected]
Fri Apr 6 09:27:30 PDT 2012

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 6:15 PM, Gregg Tavares (勤) <[email protected]> wrote:

> You can rant all you want. Unfortunately it's today's reality. Lost
> context is not going away anytime soon.

I know

> That has nothing to do with WebGL. It has to do with the current state of
> GPUs, drivers and OSes. GPUs are not CPUs. Their memory isn't easily
> swapped or protected and currently none of them are preempt-able. None of
> the browser vendors have control over that. Even Apple doesn't write their
> own drivers or make their own GPUs.

I know that too. I'll nevertheless note a couple of things:
1) No WebGL framework in existence handles context lost, or will handle it
in anything like the forseeable future, if at all, ever.
2) It might just be nigh-impossible to write any kind of framework that can
handle it.
3) Requring the average interested WebGL developer (or even the average
framework writer) to deal with this, is relegating the writing of WebGL
code to the elite of the elite, and even so, their code won't be pretty,
reusable or understandable.
4) No, none whatsoever, WebGL demo/application beyond the hello-world
equivalent handles context-lost so far, I posit, it's impossible anyhow for
anything slightly non-trivial.

So I know I can rant whatever I like, and the problem's not gonna go away.
But you can introduce context-lost all you want, the problem's *also* not
going away.