[Public WebGL] OT: exception handling

Gregg Tavares (勤) [email protected]
Fri Apr 6 14:31:56 PDT 2012

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 2:17 PM, Florian Bösch <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 10:53 PM, Gregg Tavares (勤) <[email protected]>wrote:
>
>> It's not hard at all. I've pointed out the simple rules. I've updated 20+
>> sites to handle context lost. It was exceedingly trivial.
>>
> Please document that publicly. We really need this.

I did document it in the WebGL wiki
http://www.khronos.org/webgl/wiki/HandlingContextLost

Also many of the samples at
http://code.google.com/p/webglsamples/

including
http://webglsamples.googlecode.com/hg/aquarium/aquarium.html
http://webglsamples.googlecode.com/hg/blob/blob.html
http://webglsamples.googlecode.com/hg/dynamic-cubemap/dynamic-cubemap.html
http://webglsamples.googlecode.com/hg/electricflower/electricflower.html
http://webglsamples.googlecode.com/hg/field/field.html
http://webglsamples.googlecode.com/hg/imagesphere/imagesphere.html
http://webglsamples.googlecode.com/hg/spacerocks/spacerocks.html

> There is no way to handle this transparently. Even if you save off all
>> resources (textures, buffers, programs, shader) you can't save off
>> renderbuffers or textures being rendered to.
>>
>  Eventually graphics hardware will have to handle this transparently. It
> just doesn't right now. Even so, how do you imagine the bright GPGPU future
> coming around when a users work could vanish into thin air at any time?
> It's not gonna work, so either GPUs grow up or GPGPU doesn't happen because
> users can't use it to do work.

You're preaching to the choir here. This topic isn't about what GPU's
should do. It's about what WebGL has to do because of the current state of
GPUs.